Monday, May 16, 2011

The Vet

In another life I am not a business litigator...I am a well-visit vet. My job consists of providing intensive tummy-rubbing therapy for my patients...no shots, no bad news and lots of money! Now that I've exhibited my vivid imagination, let me say that I have the utmost respect for vets, specifically our vets at North Greenville Animal Hospital. Since moving to Greenville nearly 8 years ago, I've taken my dogs to Dr. Malphrus...later joined by Dr. Welch. Unlike my choice of dentist, coffee shop and hairdresser, I have never waivered on my vet decision. I happily pay the light bill there because they treat ME, in addition to my furry babies. I like to think that I "bother" my vets less now that I'm a more experienced pet lover, but I can assure you there used to be some excessive eye-rolling when my name appeared on caller ID at the vet's office. Maggie was my first and only for almost 10 years and I admittedly obsessed over every sneeze, every scratch...and god forbid, vomit!! I didn't understand why my vet at the time didn't have a pager, was never on-call and adamently refused to give me his home number. On a side note, all potential pediatritions of the future Hammond children should take heed.

So, Willy saw Dr. Welch yesterday for his first check up. I was such a proud momma...there was no tail-tucking (Lucy), no peeing on the lobby floor (Edi) and no attempts at world domination (Sadie)! Willy greeted the receptionist with a wag as I soaked up the compliments about how sweet and adorable he is. Before long we were in the exam room and things were underway. As I chatted with Dr. Welch about Willy's heart condition, one of the techs attempted to take Willy temperature. I was not prepared for the sound that emanated from my 16 pound angel. You would've thought Willy was auditioning for the staring roll in an after-school special about thermometer rape and its consequences on society. Bravo little fellow...bravo! With Willy's feelings on the matter of medical penetration abundantly clear, my new mission is to find alternative ways for vets to obtain accurate temperature readings. I'm thinking of creating an email account for suggestions of the same...savewillysfanny@gmail.com has a nice ring to it!

No comments:

Post a Comment